Political Unrest


Politics has been the toughest nut for me to crack so far. Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught to remain neutral to all politics in the world. No matter what the situation, country or problem, we were not allowed to get involved or even have an opinion. I walked through the world with blinders on and thought that someday God would step in and solve all mankind’s problems. Of course, he would have to destroy 99.9% of humanity to do it but, I somehow felt that was a small price to pay.

Now that I’m no longer subject to “magical thinking”, I realize that there are real issues that must be dealt with by humans. I have to find a way to get involved and form opinions I’ve never had before. Needless to say, today’s political climate is probably the worst time to learn about this subject. It is confusing and frustrating for everyone, much less someone that has never paid attention to this area before.

I am fiscally conservative but, I feel that everyone should be allowed to live life as they see fit, regardless of whether I would choose that for myself. 

I think we all have to pull our own weight in today’s society but, I don’t want to see anyone go without their needs being met.

I am a straight, white male but, I want people of all races and those in the LGBTQI community to be treated with respect and have the life they desire.

So, where does that leave me? Extraordinarily puzzled.

I have no idea where I fall in the political spectrum because it appears that there is no spectrum. There are two sides in this country and I don’t agree with everything either side espouses.

I can see how being involved with politics at a young age grooms a person to accept things they may not agree with. If the only option is to support a party that agrees with 75% of your beliefs, you might be willing to swallow the 25% that you disagree with. At the age of 50, it seems very limited to me.

The good news is that I love having this problem. I am happy that I have the freedom to discover my true beliefs and standards. I am glad that not every problem is answered with a trite, useless platitude that solves nothing. I am grateful for the ambiguity that enables me to define who I really am.


It’s a messy world with incredible problems. But, I am thankful that I get to live in it as a responsible contributor to the solutions. 

Comments

  1. I have always had a political opinion, even when I wan’t supposed to. Truth is when I was younger I leaned Democrat as did my whole family even the Witnesses. When FDR was elected my Grandfather and the local school teacher were about the only Democrats in the whole County. As I got older I became a whole lot more Conservative with some Libertarian tendencies. I had zero problem becoming politically active, in fact I was already voting when I was an Elder in Dallas which might be a shock to you. Just didn’t figure it was anyone else’s business. I always thought the rrasons given for not voting when stuff directly impacted your life we’re just silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I guess it only surprises me a little bit that you were voting while an elder. Most JWs, including myself, seem to have a few things they do privately that are condemned by the organization. Whether it's movies they watch, how much they drink or doing something more reviled by the religion. I just don't think it's normal to squash an individual's personality down as much as they do. I think we are too different and varied in our views on life to fit into the cookie cutter mold that they push us in to. Good for you for living as your heart told you.

      Delete
  2. I understand you perfectly!!! I have an opinion on politics...at long last! What I find is that I am disgusted with the ultra conservative and I am disgusted with the ultra liberal! I'm a live and let live kind'a lady! I wish there was a party that was for, "mind your own business and don't hurt others with what you as an adult choose to do". Maybe we could call it the, "Play nice and hold hands when you go out into the world" party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?