A More Inclusive Circle of Friends

One of the most beautiful things about my journey has been meeting people I never would have known before. Because of the moral values of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I never actively associated with members of the LGBTQI community. The religion classifies the entire group as sinners, worthy of destruction. They advocate suppression of any feelings that might indicate someone is gay. This has led to a lifetime of misery for many in the religion. 

When I was a teenager, I had a very close friend. His name was Nathan. Nathan was one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and he was gay. There was no doubt in my mind that's who he really was because we talked about it. But, Nathan suppressed his “tendencies” and tried to live the life of a good Jehovah’s Witness. He got married and had a child. Then, he got divorced and lived alone. Sadly, he suffered several heart attacks during this period. Finally, Nathan committed suicide.

I know this tragedy happened because of how Nathan was made to feel about himself. Fighting against his true nature broke his heart and his spirit. I cannot imagine the anguish my dear friend went through as he felt condemned to destruction every day. I cannot fathom the depths of the depression that swallowed him whole.

But, I know what caused it. He was taught a standard of morals that judged him where he stood. To be himself, he would have to accept his damnation. There was only one way out.

Jehovah’s Witnesses rely heavily on the scripture at Romans 6:23, “The wages sin pays is death.” This scale of justice is seen as absolute. If you die, you have just paid for your sins. What better way could my friend find to pay for his own “sin”? Suicide would have seemed like a reasonable option. He could then expect to be resurrected into a paradise Earth, young, vigorous, perfect, and without the stain of his sinful nature. It tears me apart to know how logical this would have seemed to him. 

The point of this story is that Nathan was a beautiful soul that never got to sing his song. He was an incredibly gifted florist. His arrangements were used at very sophisticated events in California. But, his self-doubt and guilt kept him from reaching his full, unique potential. The world missed out on seeing someone very special for who he really was. And, we’re lesser for this loss. 

I will never miss out on seeing and respecting anyone's truth again. I’m proud to shed the judgments that kept me from seeing all the beautiful souls around me. I do not care what lifestyle a person lives. No one should be made to feel “less than” because of another person’s limited viewpoint. 


I have chosen to shed a narrow view of the world and I now have incredible friends from an entire spectrum of backgrounds, preferences, and realities. Each shade of the rainbow now fills my life. I have met loyal souls, amazing artists, compassionate healers, and empathetic listeners from all walks of life. Each individual’s expression of their truth adds so much to my knowledge and experience. I am more human for knowing each one of them. It is my honor to call them my friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?

Political Unrest