Living Out Loud

This year I have posted pictures of myself I never would have dared to share before. They seem innocuous to most people because they’re pictures of birthday parties, Thanksgiving celebrations, and Christmas preparations. They’re things most people would be completely comfortable posting. But, I have only recently arrived at the freedom that allows me to post them.

The religion I grew up in forbade those celebrations and special moments. They were viewed as pagan and worldly. Anyone celebrating those events was seen as participating in false religion. Posting such pictures would mark me as an apostate from my religion and I would be cut off from all family and friends still associated with them. The fear of being losing everyone I knew has led me to hide those pictures for the last couple of years. 

But, I came to a decision a couple of months ago. This is my story. I’m the only one that gets to tell it. Others may have a story about my story but, that’s not the real story. I’m going to live out loud. I’m going to share moments that I feel are precious regardless of what anyone else thinks. I am going to be myself and not worry about who wants to remain in my life. The fear of being canceled by those I have loved since I was a baby will no longer hold me back from sharing the joy I have found. My friends, my family, and my enemies will not dictate the face I show to the rest of the world.

Cancel culture has no place in my life. I am me.







Comments

  1. I am so glad you landed with our family, Michael. "They" don't know what they've lost by giving you up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?

Political Unrest