The Music Remains the Same


"Think of the poor example you are setting by listening to music like this in front of the younger ones,” said the District Overseer as he held my Night Ranger cassette tape aloft. It was one of the worst moments of my 19-year existence. I had just been denounced by the representative of God Himself, in the West Texas/Eastern New Mexico area. 

I was humiliated for a reason. I needed to learn submission to the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I was being trained to obey. But, all I could think of was about how grateful I was that he hadn’t seen my Duran Duran, Def Leppard and Nine Inch Nails tapes. 

Music was an area where I had no problem diverging from the Jehovah’s Witness norm. My tastes ran the entire spectrum. I listened to heavy metal, new wave, club, hip hop, and alternative. Fortunately, Texas Tech had a great college station playing very cutting edge music when I was growing up in the 80s. I got to hear a lot of great bands before they got popular.

Even after being appointed as a ministerial servant, a regular pioneer, and an elder with special assignments, I listened to things that we were constantly being counseled about. I hated when a parent would come to me and complain about their children’s CDs. I’d be thinking, “Yeah. I’ve got that one too. It’s not as good as their second album.” I hid the fact that my radio was constantly tuned to KDGE in Dallas.

I have continued this eclectic musical taste to this day. I’ve added country, jazz, blues, and a little rap to my favorite playlists. Music has always been playing somewhere during key moments of my life. There are memories and emotions attached to certain songs. 

This is a small area of my personality where I claim victory for my individualism. I may not have rebelled against the entire organization as a kid but I took a stand for music. It’s not an Earth-shaking stance but it’s what I could muster up. So, I’m going to go ahead and be proud of myself for this one.


Music paints the emotions in the room with meaning. Lyrics often pinpoint everything happening in that moment and embed themselves indelibly in my mind. I can’t imagine my life without my soundtrack. I'm grateful I picked it out myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?

Political Unrest