Women in the JW Organization


If the world knew how women were viewed and treated by Jehovah’s Witnesses, they would be shocked.

We live at a time when women have a stronger voice in society. It’s taken decades of work but, people are finally accepting the value of treating women as equals with important contributions. It’s beautiful to see strong female leaders in the forefront of companies, organizations, and politics without being regarded as hysterical and illogical. I know we still have a long way to go but, it’s so much better than where I came from.

To give you an idea, here are some common teachings about women as discussed in publications or at meetings of Jehovah’s Witnesses (phrases in quotes are actually used in JW literature and teachings):
  • Women need to wear a "head covering" when teaching in the presence of men
  • Women are not allowed to teach the congregation as a minister
  • Women are expected to “be in silence”, “keep silent”, and “learn in silence” from their husbands
  • Women are kept safe from spiritually dangerous activities by staying busy having children
  • Women cannot pray in front of a baptized male
  • Women should develop a “quiet and mild spirit"
  • Women should be “workers at home"
  • Women should always be in subjection to baptized males, even if they are less experienced or younger
  • Women should be modest in their dress and grooming, never bringing attention to themselves
  • Women should be patient with husbands who abuse them
  • Women should be compassionate towards rapists
  • Women should never take the lead unless there is no male available 
  • Women are “weaker vessels"
Whenever the subject of women’s liberation or equality is discussed at JW meetings, it is openly mocked as being contrary to God’s arrangement of things. Women that stray from these rigid boundaries are viewed as having a “Jezebel influence” and are monitored because of their rebellious spirit.

I bristle up when I think of these teachings now. I used to try to assign “sisters” in the congregation activities usually reserved for males. But, I wasn’t going to make a dent in the misogynistic culture that pervaded the organization.

I’ve come to appreciate the role women have played in my life even more now. As I look back, I realize that every important lesson I’ve learned about life was taught to me by a woman I love. My grandmother, mother, sister, aunts, friends, and wife have taught me more than any man ever has. 


There is divinity in the feminine spirit. I am grateful I now know the true value of the women in my life.  

Comments

  1. Why would you want to be with a woman that always agreed with you and did what she was told. I love the fact that my wife speaks her mind whenever she wants. I love the fact that she is a strong woman. We have also taught our daughter who is now 24 to take no shit from anyone including any man. To be honest I'm afraid of both of them.��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?

Political Unrest