Why I'm Not Calling My Family Now


I have been thinking a lot about family and friends that have chosen to disconnect from me. My emotions are pulling at me to reach out and make sure they’re all right. Of course, I know they either wouldn’t talk to me or they would preach to me if I called. Still, I really want to hear that they’re all right.

One realization keeps me from checking on them: this is their test of faith. Whether I agree with it or not, to them, their relationship with God is on the line. I'm sure their emotions are telling them to call and check on me too. But, there is ingrained training that tells them I am an evil apostate. This is a test to see who they love more: me or their God. That puts an incredible amount of pressure on them at a time when they feel their life is at stake. 

It’s like a Rorschach test. They see this as the end of the world, while many see this as a time to pull together and help. They see God’s judgment coming upon mankind, while the majority see it as a time to reflect true love. They are in an impossible situation.

I will never forgive the organization that has created this psychological torture. This shunning policy is just another example of how a group that claims to represent the epitome of love harms its members. I will not add to the pressure my loved ones are under.

When we get to the other side of this tragedy, when they can take a mental breath, that’s when I’ll let them know how much they mean to me. That’s when I will tell them how happy I am that they are still alive. That’s what I’ll show them what love really means.

When things calm down, many active Jehovah’s Witnesses will be massively disappointed. This looks like the culmination of world events they’ve been waiting for their entire lives. When this is over, they’ll look for real answers. I hope they’ll look into the organization, its leadership, the scandals, and the damage that has been done to current and former members. This might turn into an exodus that could be a huge blow to the religion.

The organization has set up its own fall. I don’t need to do anything to push a person into seeing reality before they are ready. Current members that are truly honest with themselves will see what’s going on when they get over their disappointment.


So, as much as I want to call my friends and family, I’ll wait. I’ll let this crisis reveal things to them. Then, I’ll be here, ready to help those that want to disconnect from the organization. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?

Political Unrest