The Comfort Bubble


For 47 years, I was certain I would see Armageddon destroy everyone outside of the Jehovah's Witness religion. I knew for a fact that all governments, industries, and other religions were controlled by Satan. There was a purpose for mankind and it would only be realized after everyone outside our organization would be obliterated.

As gruesome as that sounds, it was comforting. I never had to worry about the ups and downs of the stock market. I never gave a second thought to politics. I never cared about anyone else's false beliefs. Every world event, no matter how catastrophic, could be explained away as part of Satan's world.

This belief system gave me a false sense of confidence. I wouldn't have been bothered by a pandemic, economic uncertainty, or political unrest. It was a comfortable bubble that I lived in.

Since leaving the JW religion, life has become uncertain. I can no longer fall back on doctrines that are based on fantasy. I cannot feel sure of what will happen next. That means that today's world is more terrifying than ever.

Most of us that leave the organization find a way to cope with this. There are healthy and unhealthy ways to tackle this problem and it's up to each of us to find the path that works for us.

The good news is that we aren't the first or only ones to experience this feeling of uncertainty. Today's world is unnerving to most people. There are no black or white answers. There is just what is right before us.

I'm writing this as an act of faith because I don't always feel the truth of this. I often get overwhelmed, exhausted, depressed, and hopeless. But, I cling to the fact that I have a great life when so many others are truly suffering. I know that there is a way to enjoy life, even when the world seems to be going crazy.

If you're feeling swamped by everything happening around you, I understand. I'm in the same spot. I think it's part of our process. I believe that all of us that have left the Jehovah's Witness religion have to find our new comfort bubble. It may take a while but, I have to believe that it is possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JWs, ExJWs, and Suicide

Am I An Apostate?

Political Unrest